i love thought catalog. have you read thought catalog? you should.
i just read an article entitled “22 things you need to do while you have the chance.” it was written by charlotte green who i do not know but who seems to be brilliant. here’s the link: http://thoughtcatalog.com/2013/22-things-you-need-to-do-while-you-have-the-chance/
i have comments on some of them.
1. Go to a country whose language you do not speak, and where English is rarely spoken. Learn what it means to have to find out everything by yourself, and to live glued to your translating dictionary.
yes. i have traveled through europe fairly extensively, and i remember i went to some museum in madrid where no one knew english, and no one even knew i was speaking english. they thought it was a completely different language. it was jolting, and also liberating. i’d love to experience it for more than an hour.
3. Take a road trip simply for the joy of being on the road and not having anywhere in particular to end up. Stop in restaurants and shops along the way that look like they belong in a Norman Rockwell painting, and eat candy that your grandparents used to love.
i think i am going to make this happen in the next year. i drive a prius, why not?
4. Dance with a stranger in the bar for three whole songs and then go home by yourself, without feeling like you owed them anything.
done this one. immeasurable amounts of fun.
7. Kiss a friend on the lips when the ball drops on New Year’s Eve.
8. Enjoy long Sunday mornings without children jumping on your bed to wake you up at the crack of dawn to make them breakfast.
i love this. but for some reason, i feel like guys are always in such a rush to wake up and do some activities. what is so wrong with lying around and watching the food network until you are so starving that you force yourself up and to brunch?
13. Spend an entire weekend alone, walking around, eating in restaurants by yourself, and not even distracting yourself with music. Listen to things like you never allow yourself to — the children playing, the breeze blowing, the mellow chatter of diners dining.
potentially the most intriguing to me. i have been thinking a lot lately about being alone, and whether i am really okay with being by myself. i think i am, but i think i have trouble not freaking out and texting 37 people just to have some sort of communication going. i’d really like to see how i would do with a scheduled staycation with only myself.
14. Throw a theme party where everyone has to come in basically no clothing.
so i never really got to do this in college. and i want to throw one before everyone feels too old to come. i need more friends first.
19. Go to an all-night concert that puts you out onto the street when it’s sunny and people are going to work and everyone is serving breakfast.
this one gave me goosebumps.
22. Start a new project simply to test your abilities and see what you might not have yet learned about yourself. Work seriously on paintings, submit articles, take up an instrument, join a dance class. Be a better version of yourself. Regardless of the kind of success you might see, you will at least have become the kind of person who isn’t afraid to try things.
this sums it up. i want to be a better version of myself. i am working on it every day. i am trying to choose happiness every day.